Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanic Healing

Post subject: dealing with the Warrior Mind
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:14 am 

This excerpt is taken from the martial art website http://www.nobutake.com/warriormind.asp

"...through training and understanding, warriors achieve a certain mind set, one that seems contradictory to many, and yet is not when understood. The warrior mind should be clear. It should be able to perceive without distraction. It should be relaxed though alert. The mind should be determined yet unconcerned. The mind and the body should be in complete unity; in fact, there should not be a distinction between mind and body."

However, what a mass of angst the Warrior mind becomes when this understanding becomes twisted. I am dealing with a client who is a Vietnam veteran. To him, everyone is the enemy - and at times, including me. I am at a loss as to how to proceed with him.

Have any of you dealt with the Warrior Mind in your healing work?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:40 am 

Well, seeing one as a enymy is not warrior mind, if I have understood the concept right.
Hate is only hate, which I would not see to do anything with warrior mind.
Mind cannot be relaxed if seeking enemy, it just perceives everything and is alert, without anger or judging.

The mind set you described, I use something very similar when doing healing work, or doing anything at all with proper concentration. To me that is same as doing and meditating same time, where emotions and thoughts are considerd as distraction.

If you try to find healing for hate, it may come through surrendering, forgivness and acceptance.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:26 am 

you are missing the point, or I did not make this clear.

I do not see anyone as the enemy. My client does. And he was trained as a warrior. But he has become confused as to what is clear and what is not; hence the illusion that there is an enemy.

Hate and the perception of an enemy are not the same. The perception of the enemy is more fear-based, as if some evil will be done to you. Hate is a much more hostile, as you are now the evil that will be done to someone else.

What I am asking is: has anyone has every dealt with a warrior who has lost the ability to remain clear? And if so, how do I help them return to their original clarity of mind, body and spirit?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:40 am 

My father, also a vietnam vet, suffered from a similar condition for a long time, and even now there are traces. I can't say I know how to cure it, but if progress is going to be made, you need to get him to relax first, however that may be accomplished. Depending on the type and severity of his condition, you might want to consider humoring him, at least for a while. Assure him he has nothing to fear and no one wishes to harm him. It won't be easy, but eventually he may come around. I wish I had more to contribute.

Good luck, my friend.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:03 pm 

thanks, TwinBull for your comment.

I think you are right in expressing assurance and to relax the vigil. Even though the war is long over, the trauma from it is not. Nor the guilt. So getting him to relax and see that the shadows no longer hide the enemy may help him a lot.

Much of his angst is due to the government re-evaluating his military disability retirement. He was sent to a psychiatrist who wanted specific details of what his "assignments" involved. In retelling his duties, it triggered the PTS. He had been able to control the fears and guilt, but now it has become overwhelming.

I have begun to study trance postures, hoping to find something there that would help in dealing with the Warrior.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:20 pm 

Reading this I recommend a special treatment - not only a shamanic one. Those traumatas are not something that is easy to cope with. Some soldiers suffer their whole life.

If you are determined to shamanize him, you have to journey back to the moment this special trauma actual happened to him. That is not a nice thing to do, you are going to see things happening you are remember later, that is a sure thing. Maybe you find the fragments he lost, maybe not. That depends on the way he lost his soul through "susto". Curing this kind of susto is not easy going, it never is.

War is something extremely cruel. Soldiers are not warriors, they are soldiers. Some of them are warriors, but most are soldiers that do not know what they have to face in situations of armored conflicts, even if they are bein "prepared" for it. Facing the cruelties of war first hand is sometimes devastating to ones mental state of health.

During the acute phase of his PTS shamanizing is not a good idea. It never is, the memories are far too strong to cope with.

Mind your signature when trying to help him.

Yours,

Apu Kuntur

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:40 pm 

thank you, Apu Kuntur. Your words exact the truth.

I do no shamanic work on him when he is in this severe state of PTS. As you point out, it is much too dangerous - for both he and me. There are treatments he accepts that do not take him so deep. He does derive some comfort from that.

My Guides have shown me the point he should journey back to. But he is unwilling; and so, I do not take him there. That would be cruel - maybe even more cruel than these demons of the war that haunt him. I do not know if he will ever be ready for that journey.

I try to be mindful, Apu Kuntur. Your cautions are well taken.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:55 pm 

I can give an advice.

Those PTS are very deep hooked into the unconscious mind of the soldier, here your client. In order to change anything here, you have to reach as deep as the trauma is being rooted, which means very, very deep. This can be achieved by hypnosis. The trick is, to relate the experience that led into the trauma to the present. That means that the unconscious mind has to realize that it is over now. Repetitive sessions enforce the new relation to the present time. Those fears originate in the fact that the unconscious mind does not know the flow of time. A guarantee of success is impossible, some traumatas are so intense that nothing can help.

After that - and only then - you may shamanize to get his fragmented soul together.

An immediate help could be to increase his vital-force. Doing Qi-Gong or something else that increases the vital-force.

Yours,

Apu Kuntur

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:39 pm 

Thanks for clearance, got confused with warriormind staff. And cannot provide much help, but summary. So, there is already an aswer. Take the client to the point back. And client is not ready. Is there anything else your guides suggest to do to encourage your client or to prepare him?
At the end it is all about your clients will to heal and nothing can help if the client is not able to face the trauma.
There is technique called shamanic counceling, where client does his own journey under supervision of shaman, who helps and supports the client to have focus and clearance during the process. That way supervisor may lead patient little by little to the source of trauma by journeywork.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:54 am 

Little more about shamanic counceling as a healing method... I have not educated into it, but received healing about three-four times.
Shaman helps client to focus and form goal with helping question for the journeys like this: "What you can do to heal yourself? What it is you really want? Are you fully sure you want this? What is your ultimate goal in healing yourself? What is the first step you want to take with this? What would be the second step?

This way the client takes full responsibility of himself and sets his own pace.

After every journey Shaman makes again the questions to keep the focus and clear mind like this: Did you get the aswer? What was the answer? Did you get the healing? How are you feeling? How do you feel about the situation?

The journeys were spoken out same time, when doing the journey and taped. For me these sessions were very helpful, but also psycologicly very heavy, I was very tired afterwards.
I believe the method can be used in various situations.
It may seem, that supervisorshaman's work would be here very easy, but it is not so. Client need full trust, comfort, safe and clarity, which may be hard to maintain in client.
Best wishes to your client

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:24 am 

thank you, Jusma for your encouragement.

What you are describing is similar to work I do with other clients. And it is very helpful indeed. But this warrior" almost seems to be battling himself. It's like he's place land mines all around his life.

I think Apu Kuntur offers sage advice - which I am heeding - to NOT do shamanic work on him until he views his situation is less threatening and he is ready to work on this.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:27 am 

Rachara El wrote:
I think Apu Kuntur offers sage advice - which I am heeding - to NOT do shamanic work on him until he views his situation is less threatening and he is ready to work on this.

Yes, indeed

Post subject: Ed Tick
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:07 am 

Google Edward Tick. He treats PTSD with shamanism. Also written a couple good books on the subject.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:37 pm 

I don't profess to have treated PTSD but I have witnessed astounding results with EFT (Emotional Freedom Technique) which involves tapping meridian points. By allowing the client to do this tapping themselves, it gives them the power and option to effect change themselves, gently and subtly when they need to, not just during sessions.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:45 am 

Forest Child wrote:
By allowing the client to do this tapping themselves, it gives them the power and option to effect change themselves, gently and subtly when they need to, not just during sessions.

thank you for this information. I'll do some research on this. However, I am also reluctant to encourage my client to do this alone himself, as the flashbacks are triggered by any type of stimulation - with quite disastrous results.

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanic Healing