Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanic Healing

Post subject: dangers of journeying
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:25 am 

I am really down. I have been actively working with the shamanic journey for the last few years. During this time I have journeyd for many people, including soul retrievals, and other healings.

My spirit allies always assured me that I was on the right path, that I have their support in what I am doing. I felt that I want to devote my life to this kind of work.

An ayurvedic doctor told me that this practice is putting my health in serious danger and that he advises I stop before I get really sick. I akwnowledge ayurvedic medicine and also this doctor. I am really confused and don't know what to think.

It never occured to me that I was in danger while journeying since my spirit allies are with me.

I would appreciate any feedback and some wise words.

Post subject: Re: dangers of journeying
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:04 am 

What did the ayurvedic doctor say was the reason for this 'journeying sickness'? How is it harming you? Are you leaving bits of yourself over there? Is your journey technique compromising you in some way?

What do your Spirits indicate?

What is the nature of your illness, how does it relate to journeying?

Post Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:25 am 

Thank you for responding, Forest child.

It seems that I am unable to adequately protect myself and other people's "stuff" is getting into my own energy field.

I have always been a very sensitive person. Even if I stand next to someonw with a serious problem, I will start contracting it. If I do any sort of practice to put up a shield or protective barrier, it diminshes once I come face to face with an attack (negative energy directed at me or near me).

So during journeying, I am also not protected enough, so it seems. The doctor said I have a huge hole in my throat chakra. It also turned out I have hypothyroidism, with symptoms that demonstrate the opposite.

For obvious reasons, I have decided to stop journeying for others, because it is irresponsible and shows lack of ethics. I need to take care of myself right now. Since then I have been weary of journeying in general. Yesterday, I drummed a bit and it made me cry because I miss this wonderful world so much. It feels foolish to abandon something that makes me so happy.

All I am really wondering about is whether anyone else has expereinced becoming ill or weakened after journeying for others?

Post Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:15 am 

There is a long history of healers taking on the physical ailments and psychological aspects of their clients in order to heal. It sounds like you are a natural empath but where this kind of sensing can help with the diagnosis, the shaman usually has a method by which to remove this safely so that s/he is unaffected in the longterm. What Ross Heaven details as Sin Eaters in his book refers to a similar process of consuming the sin/disease/problem but then a meal of salt forces the healer to vomit the badness up somewhere safe in nature where it can be recycled.

This may link to your throat centre issue?

If this were me, I would be seeking the guidance of my Spirits and my shamanic mentor to work through the whole process.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:14 am 

Hi,

I think Forest Child is right. You must be able to divest yourself of the black energy you absorb from the people you treat.

If you can't do that, you will be adversely affected.

Until you know how to do that then it makes sense to stop this kind of work.

I guess you don't have a teacher - otherwise you wouldn't be writing to this forum for help - but other than giving you advice to stop damaging yourself, I feel that sorting out the problem via email is not the way to do it.

You have found out that being a shaman can be dangerous work. You really need to find someone who can teach you face to face.

And find the best teacher you can.

All the best,

Mac Blyth

Post Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:06 am 

Thank you for the responses. I do feel better about the situation. I recognize what I have been doing wrong, and I feel that I can move on and not dwell on this. I see that I have associated myself so strongly with this role, that it nearly became who I am. Now that I am not in this role, I am beginning to see that the things that I do, my job, my feelings don't define me, these are aspects of what I am experiencing at this time. In the last years, I have gotten so much from my shamanic practice, that I feel blessed to have found this path. I feel that this is more than the journey itself, it is a way of living and thinking about Nature. It is somethin that will always be apart of me whether I journey or not.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:39 pm 

vadvida,

Thanks for sharing your story. As someone who had stopped Journeying, both for myself and others for a few years, not by conscious choice, but just because my Path sort of led me away from it, and also an empath, I can feel your story very strongly. I hope you have come to a place of balance where you can be happy and safe doing what you love. I've been advised to do energetic cleansing rituals after Journeying for others, either with water, fire, burying myself in the dirt, or by vomiting (purging) the toxins that may have been absorbed. Wonder if you've tried any of these things?

Nice chatting.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:51 am 

Quite a bit of time has passed.....I have found my role as someone who can assist, guide, help to understand. I have been helping others to discover their own shamanic power, their path. It feels better this way- people are so happy to discover what they are capable of. I no longer experience their experience, I don't see their demons, their struggle, but they do. I work together with them closely and help to unravel their story.

The strange thing is, I didn't have to think so hard about what I am going to do, it just sort of solved itself.

Soulflower, thank you for your ideas and it feels good to know that someone else shares in my experience. I recognize how important it is to energetically clear space and cleanse myself. Many healers, including myself are susceptible to thinking they can "handle" the energies that come forth, but it is my own responsibilty to take care of myself and do what is necessary to make sure I am working safely. This journey has thought me many things, one of which is to take care of and nurture myself. As a healer, as a therapist, I am not a martyr, a hero, nor a saint. I am human and need love just like anyone else. Self love.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:55 am 

Periodically, I carry out a fire healing on my 'space' to ensure that any energies that have found their way in are then transmuted back into their original energetic elements ..

I call this simplistically . . 'composting' and from it the flowers and trees grow beautifully, creating additional positive energy.

If anyone fancies knowing how this is done, then please feel free to give me a shout

Happy Days
Goldie...

Post Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:29 pm 

I am new here and have been lurking .... but I would be interested in knowing more, Goldie!

Post Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:48 pm 

Nashoba wrote:
I am new here and have been lurking .... but I would be interested in knowing more, Goldie!

drop me a pm and I will share the details .. it does involve one initial step prior to the process, but it's so easy to do a child could do it

speak soon :D

Post Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:42 am 

Hematite essence from Alaskan essences.

Clearing and Releasing, and Making and Honoring Boundaries, from Desert Alchemy.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:17 pm 

I simply warded and shielded my house enough that nothing can enter without my express consent. This includes energy. If I work on someone and come home, that energy may not enter my home. My home is my refuge and my sanctuary, where I may rest and recover and be undisturbed by the world beyond it.

Definitely work on your own shielding. The goal of a healing is not to draw the sickness into yourself, but to draw it out of the patient and burn it away so that it may not infect anyone or anything else. Purify the illness, and then it cannot be drawn into you.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:56 pm 

I didn't really know what journeying is until I came to this forum to look up what journeying is.

I've never done it officially, but as I mentioned somewhere else, it looks like I'm always doing it, and have always been doing it my whole life.

A dream I had a few weeks ago seemed to be the catalyst that shoved me into taking a closer look at shamanism. It's something that I always found interesting in a folksy way, but I've never been seriously interested in it, till now.

This dream and the one I've had subsequently evoke powerful emotions that I have rarely felt to this extent in the past, but now I feel them a lot of the time.

They are invigorating on the one hand, and depleting on the other. They are so evocative that I have almost completely lost interest in my own life. That's probably not a good thing.

I wonder if this is just the nature of the beast, and if there are ways that we can live effectively in both worlds, rather than, as in my case, ineffectively in both worlds.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:45 pm 

I have had some severe injuries because of shamanism. I went to a shaman healer three years ago and soon thereafter I had my hand crippled in an accident. Two years later I went to another shaman and then, soon thereafter, had a car wreck and then a severe injury to my leg. I started journeying again about a month ago and now have a severe injury to the arch of my foot and my tricep muscle. I feel that I am going to have to put shamanism down for good. It is too risky for me. It's frustrating because I have gained so much insight through journeying, as well as healing and also self-empowerment. I wanted to devote my life to the study of shamanism but now I see that it is too risky.
So there you have it....yes....I too am finding great dangers in the practice of shamanism.

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanic Healing