Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanic Healing

Post subject: Cleansing rituals
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:50 am 

I was wondering if anyone could shed light on the cleansing rituals. Threw some research I see that many shamans use the same physical teqnuqie of doing this like in these two video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeHoy_5oJ_A and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNQM_8PL ... re=related

my question really is what do you before this actual motions are made? Do you dance your power animal? do you journey and then do this? A dance maybe? I'm just looking for some insight in preforming this type of ritual.

Post subject: Re: Cleansing rituals
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:47 pm 

jookyle wrote:
I was wondering if anyone could shed light on the cleansing rituals. Threw some research I see that many shamans use the same physical teqnuqie of doing this like in these two video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeHoy_5oJ_A and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNQM_8PL ... re=related

my question really is what do you before this actual motions are made? Do you dance your power animal? do you journey and then do this? A dance maybe? I'm just looking for some insight in preforming this type of ritual.

It depends on where you are from, what your cultural training dictates or what your spirits demand. From my perspective, its not something which can be defined as an absolute. When you say cleansing, what do you really mean?

Dancing a power animal . . . if thats in your training or culture but really is that what your power animal requires in order for you to work with them? Do you have to embody them every time you try to help someone?

Do you feel that you want to learn a cleansing ritual?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:19 pm 

yes. I want to learn a cleansing ritual.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:54 am 

Hi Jookyle

Let me share my perspective on this question.

In general, the spirits like ritual, but not because of the actual ritual itself. If you read about ritual from around the world, you will discover that almost every culture has its own rituals, each very different from the other. Think about rituals around death. Each culture does it differently, but they all have the same purpose - and that is to send the spirit of the dead person off into the other side where it will stay quietly, peacefully, and happily without coming back to bother anyone.

So, ritual is important, but not so much because of the precise actions that we do - rather, the intention behind the actions is what counts. By performing the actions with a very focussed clear intention, we hope to convince the spirits of the depth and sincerity of our intention - and hope that they will come to our aid. We are intensifying the energy of our intention.

So, in fact, in my experience, people have all kinds of different rituals for the same intention. The beauty of shamanic work today is that we get to make up the rituals ourselves. Doing rituals, whatever they may be, is a way to create a sacred time and space in which our intention is highly focussed. As we do the ritual, our consciousness begins to shift away from our ordinary everyday concerns. They drop away. And slowly in their place the depth and sincerity of our intention becomes stronger and stronger - and perhaps more "visible" to the world of spirit whose aid we are calling out for.

Having said all that, let me suggest some basic approaches to cleansing rituals. One very simple one is to light a candle and stare into it for a long time. While you stare, invite its cleansing light to enter your soul. A second simple one, is to use incense of some kind, traditionally sage or cedar. Light it and invite the smoke to enter and cleanse your soul. Third, some people use stones of various types and place the stone on the part of the body that needs cleansing. When you use stones, it helps if you have already established a relationship with the spirit of the stone you are using. Sound can also be very cleansing - drumming at great length without necessarily journeying can be very cleansing. Singing, even if you sing very very badly, can be very cleansing, in particular, toning. Toning is a form of humming - you simply allow whatever sounds feel right to come from you throat (Toning in group is very effective if you put someone in the middle of the circle and direct the sound towards that person.) Listening to certain kinds of music can do the trick. My preference is always quiet stuff rather than noisy stuff. Think of all the chanting that goes on in so many of the world's religions. Dancing or movement can be very cleansing.

All of these - and perhaps more - are possibilities. Choose one that appeals to you or mix things up a bit - choose a little of various things. Set your intention. Work with your surroundings and with movement or body position ( you get to choose it all) to focus on that intention. Intensify its power. Slowly slowly do the work. It takes time. By the way, ritual by definition is something that you repeat many times. My own ritual work tends to move and shift a bit. I add a little something. Sometimes I drop something, but I work with my rituals for long periods of time - months and mostly years.

Finally, I often recommend Jonathon Goldman's CD Sacred Chakra Chants to people. Light a candle. Ask for light and healing to be present. Lay down. Ask for the sound of the chanting to cleanse you. Use headphones for the best effect. Listen to the whole 65 minutes without interruption. I use it in the evening when I am very tired before I go to sleep.

May the spirits be with you in your work.

Chris

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:35 pm 

I managed to get Martin Prechtel's interview about pain and grief. There he describes him as a shaman, an old rascal who has desperatly falled in love with the sacred.

His power as a healer/shaman is very much drawn from that love. There is no matter of the form of technique, because there is that love as a base, where from the whole thing is carried on.

When I listened that, I couldn't do else but admire.

Saying the same thing as others here, but emotionally more moving 8)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:00 pm 

Here is a personal cleansing ritual that I like,Fast for 24 hours drinking only weak tea,green or black,dandelion or passionflower,all are ok,now you need to find a smudge that your body feels good about,every one is different,sweet grass,cedar,sage,rosemary,you'll know the right one when you find it some things i like when their fresh but when their burnt it really is a negative for me,dried roses or other flowers,some are toxic so be aware,when you find the right one it will be as if all of the tension from the top of your head to your toes is just melting away,find your smudge then pay your respects to the north south east and west the sky's above and the earth below then waft the smoke over yourself from head to toe,sit for one hour with the smudge near by relaxed thinking of nothing,if things pop into your head dont worry just dont actively pursue any given line of thaught,after an hour go take a shower or a bath have some broth and write down your dreams.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:05 pm 

Thanks you all very much :D

Board index » General Discussion » Shamanic Healing