Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » General Discussion » Ayahusca and plant medicine

Post subject: Study finds ‘magic mushrooms’ may improve .......
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:31 pm 

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2011/09/29/study-finds-magic-mushrooms-may-improve-personality-long-term/

Quote:
By David Edwards
Thursday, September 29th, 2011 -- 4:11 pm

A new study suggests that a single dose of psilocybin -- the active ingredient in "Magic Mushrooms" -- can result in improved personality traits over the long term.

Researchers at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine found that individuals who received the drug once in a clinical setting reported a greater sense of "openness" that often lasted 14 months or longer, according to study published this week in the Journal of Psychopharmacology.

The study defined openness as a personality trait that "encompasses aesthetic appreciation and sensitivity, imagination and fantasy, and broad-minded tolerance of others' viewpoints and values." It is one of five main personality traits that are shared among all cultures worldwide.

Of the 51 participants, 30 had personality changes that left them feeling more open. Other personality traits (extroversion, neuroticism, agreeableness and conscientiousness) were not impacted. Only the participants who said they had a "complete mystical experience" while on the drug registered an increased sense of openness.

"The mystical experience has certain qualities," lead author Katherine MacLean said. "The primary one is that you feel a certain kind of connectedness and unity with everything and everyone."

Because personality traits are generally considered to remain stable throughout a persons lifetime, researchers are excited about therapeutic implications of the study.

"[T]his study shows that psilocybin actually changes one domain of personality that is strongly related to traits such as imagination, feeling, abstract ideas and aesthetics, and is considered a core construct underlying creativity in general," study author Roland R. Griffiths told USA Today. "And the changes we see appear to be long-term."

Griffiths is researching whether the drug can help cancer patients deal with depression and anxiety or help smokers curb their habit.

"Certainly we want to underscore do not try this at home," he added. "Because clearly there are several kinds of potential downsides. One is that personality changes are personality changes. Now, we don't have any reason to think that the changes we see are toxic in any way. It appears to be a change that people value in a positive way. But certainly more research needs to be done."

In a smaller study published earlier this year, Johns Hopkins scientists determined the the proper dose levels needed to create positive changes in attitudes, mood, life satisfaction, and behavior.

Something that the ancients have known for a very long time.

Post subject: Re: Study finds ‘magic mushrooms’ may improve .......
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:10 am 

future wrote:
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2011/09/29/study-finds-magic-mushrooms-may-improve-personality-long-term/

Quote:
By David Edwards
Thursday, September 29th, 2011 -- 4:11 pm

A new study suggests that a single dose of psilocybin -- the active ingredient in "Magic Mushrooms" -- can result in improved personality traits over the long term.

Researchers at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine found that individuals who received the drug once in a clinical setting reported a greater sense of "openness" that often lasted 14 months or longer, according to study published this week in the Journal of Psychopharmacology.

The study defined openness as a personality trait that "encompasses aesthetic appreciation and sensitivity, imagination and fantasy, and broad-minded tolerance of others' viewpoints and values." It is one of five main personality traits that are shared among all cultures worldwide.

Of the 51 participants, 30 had personality changes that left them feeling more open. Other personality traits (extroversion, neuroticism, agreeableness and conscientiousness) were not impacted. Only the participants who said they had a "complete mystical experience" while on the drug registered an increased sense of openness.

"The mystical experience has certain qualities," lead author Katherine MacLean said. "The primary one is that you feel a certain kind of connectedness and unity with everything and everyone."

Because personality traits are generally considered to remain stable throughout a persons lifetime, researchers are excited about therapeutic implications of the study.

"[T]his study shows that psilocybin actually changes one domain of personality that is strongly related to traits such as imagination, feeling, abstract ideas and aesthetics, and is considered a core construct underlying creativity in general," study author Roland R. Griffiths told USA Today. "And the changes we see appear to be long-term."

Griffiths is researching whether the drug can help cancer patients deal with depression and anxiety or help smokers curb their habit.

"Certainly we want to underscore do not try this at home," he added. "Because clearly there are several kinds of potential downsides. One is that personality changes are personality changes. Now, we don't have any reason to think that the changes we see are toxic in any way. It appears to be a change that people value in a positive way. But certainly more research needs to be done."

In a smaller study published earlier this year, Johns Hopkins scientists determined the the proper dose levels needed to create positive changes in attitudes, mood, life satisfaction, and behavior.

Something that the ancients have known for a very long time.

I think they've know this for a long time. It is my belief that the psychology cartel in America doesn't want to use these drugs because it would put them out of business. I hear testimony after testimony of people going to the jungles of South America to take ayahuasca. Many of these people are healed of lifelong traumas and mental problems, as well as heroin addictions and alcohol addictions. Why can't this be used in the USA?!!

Post subject: Re: Study finds ‘magic mushrooms’ may improve .......
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:49 pm 

I had a friend that did these . I was out picking them with him sometimes. also where present when he did them.

I would never take such things. I simply am afraid to do this. but I think that there was a period where he did these mushrooms that he did change his personality to the better. stopped drinking. only smoked cannabis and not so much . in a other way so to speak. also got more deep and introverted and spiritual.

however he lost all that at a point and started with speed because he wanted to test himself if he could avoid getting hooked on a synthetic drug. he could not. then he started drinking a lot at weekends and doing speed and lots of cannabis for recreational purposes where before it was more , natural in some way to do this. he was raised into a pot smoking family so smoking a little cannabis to help discuss or to share socially was something he always done.

after he started all that then I lost contact with him. he became someone I did not want to know anymore.

I think I so open for spiritual things that I do not need mushrooms . but I sometimes thought about trying it just to see how it worked. if the risk where less I would have done it years ago when I knew someone that did it regular basis.

I also think that using mushrooms to confront ones innner most dark fear might be very risky. a bad trip on these is not something I feel for trying.

never the less a very interesting article and I will look deeper into this.

thanks for posting it.

Board index » General Discussion » Ayahusca and plant medicine