Rate this Article
The Basics of Becoming Yourself
You are an incredible spirit of divine perfection, the same composition as God. Creator is an ocean and you are a drop of water in that ocean. You carry within you the exact components and properties of the entire ocean. You are made of God, in the reflection of God, and God is in you.
This does not mean that you are God as a drop of water is not the ocean or that God takes on a human form as a woman or man (as the ocean is not a drop of water. It means that your spirit, which is housed in your body, is part of a giant whole we refer to as Great Spirit. God has many names: Great Spirit, All That Is, Mother/Father, Great Mystery, Allah, and Lord. All are interchangeable. Everything is made up of the same energy; every tree, rock, grain of sand, gust of wind, drop of water, animal, insect, bird, planet, and stars are expressions of the divine. We are all interconnected in a divine and profound way.
The universe is unlimited and if you choose to explore it, you will awaken to a whole new way of knowing-a whole new way of being. Spirit is available to all people at equal levels; there is no "better than," or "more deserving." The choice to raise your consciousness means to broaden your awareness, open up to new possibilities, step out of your comfort zone, and to allow information other than what you already "know."
The following basic truths are unifying principles I have learned in my work with the spirits. They present concepts about healing and working with energy. Throughout this book I cite case histories and suggest how you might apply them to your own life to enhance your process of healing and well-being. I guarantee that if you make them a part of your daily life, your life will change accordingly.
Anyone at any time can make choices for happiness and healing. This includes you. Read the following truths and begin to ask how they might affect your life.
1. God loves and values you unconditionally.
2. You are first and foremost a spirit-a soul having an earth experience. This earth-walk is but one fraction of your being.
3. Your spirit has a divine purpose.
4. You agreed to forget previous existence. This makes becoming enlightened a quality of remembering who you are. Remembering is embracing this reality and then making the necessary changes in your life to reflect this truth. Respect, honor, compassion, and reverence for all life are necessary components for the path to awareness.
5. You are here on earth for the following reasons; to experience, to co-create with Creator, and to remember. If you do nothing more from this point on in your personal growth, you will then achieve two out of the three previous points before you die. You will experience and you will co-create. You cannot help it because it is happening every second of every day. It will, however, take a conscious decision to remember. It is a conscious decision to awaken, to grow spiritually, and to become.
6. Walking the spiritual path means that you made a decision to seek the truth of who you are. The quality of life that you live is strictly a matter of choice. You may choose to live your life at any level of awareness; all are honored and respected; nothing is judged.
Our job as humans is to clear ourselves of the many judgments we hold toward others and ourselves. Judgments are what most often get in the way of personal growth and usually indicate personal feelings of inadequacy, unworthiness, low self-esteem and lack of self-love. Judgments can cause fear, hatred, arrogance, war, greed, anger, blame, jealousy, pain, and loneliness-the psychological disorders of the human experience. They are often imprinted heavily and cloud the reality of one's own being, which creates tremendous fear. Judgments have nothing to do with truth or the perfection of the soul.
Spirit does not pressure you to change, because you are loved unconditionally for all of eternity. The urge for change is a pressure you feel from within-your own soul urging you to create a better life. Happiness, peace, deep joy, and a closer connection to Source are all available to you.
Something has encouraged you to ask questions, to seek, to pick up spiritual material. If your life is not being lived from a place of fullness, love, spontaneity, passion, sensuality, and divine joy, then you probably need to make some changes in your life in order to attain these qualities.
7. The universe is continually offering opportunities, opening doors, and answering prayers. You can choose to be conscious and awaken to these offerings.
8. Judgments, punishments, opinions of right and wrong or good and bad are human concepts. These concepts are illusions that hide the perfection of the soul. Judgments and punishments do not exist in the spirit world.
Life is the journey of becoming, a continual cycle of evolving from one lifetime to the next. What you do not achieve in this lifetime, you will achieve later. You choose the rate at which you evolve. To follow the spiritual path is a choice and a matter of readiness, but it offers phenomenal rewards. It is a completely personal experience; no two existences unfold in the same manner. As the spirits constantly remind me, everyone participating in the earth-walk will eventually come to complete consciousness. It is only a matter of when.
About the author:
Jan Engels-Smith is a graduate of the Foundation of Shamanic Studies and has trained with individual shamans. She has had a thriving shamanic practice since 1994. She has performed over 3,000 soul retrievals and viewed as an expert in her field. She is an author, Shamanic Practitioner, Reiki Master, a Licensed Professional Counselor, a Chemical Dependency Specialist, a Marriage and Family Counselor a Hypnotherapist and a Reconnection Healer.
Jan founded the LightSong School of Shamanic Studies, which has eight associate teachers and is the first of its kind to offer three accredited degrees in shamanism: Internship (IP), Licensed Master Practitioner (LMP) and Doctorate in Shamanism (ShD). You can learn more about these programs at www.lightsong.net.
Jan also conducts individual and group healing seminars for intensive personal growth.
Her training and experiences have been extensive both in the traditional philosophies and metaphysical traditions. Her personal philosophy is to assist individuals in gaining their own personal empowerment, which will in turn, promotes self healing, better communities and a healthier world.
Contact Jan at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 503-669-3013 (Portland, OR).